May 7, 2007

Eyes Wide Open...

Being born of traditional, orthodox Brahmin parents, I have been exposed to myriad rituals, superstition in my lifetime: “don’t cross the road when a black cat crosses it…burning red chilies ward off evil eyes…don’t spill salt…and so on. However, neither did I believe in it nor was a part of it ever. Always recalling my science teacher’s words about questioning and rationalizing before believing in anything, I used to scoff at any ritual performed by my naïve mom. I always felt that its just us desis who follow all kinds of complex rituals for no reason. I always made effort to change my parents so that they stop believing in these silly rituals and become 'modern'. Considering me a rebel child, they never mind my mockery and ignored my objections.

After coming to US of A, I was exposed to different cultures from all across the world: American, Italian and Mexican...To my utter dismay, I found out that all these cultures have their own set of superstitions and beliefs. And believe me, they are equally ridiculous as India's: “throw salt over your shoulder every time you use salt; just for good luck…!”

It’s not that I was not expecting these so-called cultural superstitions. I have always ran away from such beliefs and mocked them. And today also, I do not believe in them. But after meeting people from different culture, I have realized that it’s these superstitions/rituals which make a major part of a culture. I had learnt this in B-school but as its said: seeing is believing! So, after seeing all kinds of rituals, I am in acceptance mode now.

Thus, now my mom would be relieved to meet me next time…I have decided that I am not going to make fun of her beliefs. I would let her perform her rituals and let her be happy..!!! :-)

No comments: