August 13, 2007

The Storm that hit on Friday

We love walking in the woods...to breathe in the fresh air, to experience the tranquility amidst the green tall trees, to walk the winding trails and to be just happy and content. But yesterday, when we went to Starring Lake Trail, we were in for an unpleasant shock.




I knew there had been a storm the day before, the lightening and thunderstorm had woken me up numerous times during the night before. Also, Saturday evening had a thunderstorm warning in Hennepin County and it rained cats and dogs in the evening. But I had never imagined that the damage was so devastating.













There were numerous trees uprooted, fallen and blocking the trail at various points. Because of the hindrance, we were forced to take detours, duck under fallen trees or walk on unpaved trails…

After the 2.5 miles walk, I had a medley of feelings going inside me. On one hand, it was distressing to look at the destruction caused by Mother Nature. However, on the other hand, I was happy to see fellow walkers doing their daily jog/walk/bike in spite of the obstructions on the way; their enthusiasm made my day!

I know the trail would be cleared soon and I would be able to have my pleasure walk again…Till then, happy dodging, ducking and running around!!

No comments: